A stored procedure that usually runs fast ran for a long time yesterday

• coolchaitu (7/24/2015)

Thanks a lot for replying. Actually, the stored proc calls another stored proc and hence there are 2 execution plans.Could you please advise on how to improve this proc.

The first query has three references to a couple of tables and there's duplicated filtration at more than one nesting level. Both will make this query more expensive than it needs to be. Tweaking would be difficult without reference data to run against but at a simplistic level you could remove the unnecessary nesting levels to make the query a little simpler and replace the multiple references to tblCabDeviceMappingDetail and tblCabMaster by unioning the other tables first. Unless the 'JobID NOT IN' filters eliminate a significant proportion of rows, move them to the outside.

There's plenty of scope for improvement in both of the stored procedures. They may have been written by an inexperienced developer in a hurry, maybe not. Both should be rewritten by a competent developer. Key lookups and clustered index scans indicate that indexing of these tables is suboptimal. It's a pointless exercise chasing server settings and wait states when you know that your queries are poorly written and unsupported by the few indexes you have.

None of this is advanced SQL and if you are unsure of any part of it, then hire a professional, who will rearrange indexing to support the new queries - as part of the job.

Here's the first queryreformatted for readability:

SELECT

JobID,

isnull(NStime,'NA') AS NoShow,

isnull(SAtime,'NA') AS Arrived,

isnull(CabLocation,'NA') AS CabLocation,

Speed

FROM ( -- c

SELECT

JobID,

SAtime,

CabRegistrationNo,

CabLocation,

Speed

FROM ( -- a

SELECT

JobID,

cm.CabRegistrationNo,

cm.CabLocation,

CM.Speed

FROM dbo.tblBidMaster BM WITH(NOLOCK)

INNER JOIN dbo.tblBidMasterStatusDetail BMS WITH(NOLOCK) ON BM.BidID = BMS.BidID

INNER JOIN dbo.tblJobAwardDetail JA WITH(NOLOCK) ON BM.BidID = JA.BidID AND JobCancelID IS NULL

INNER JOIN dbo.tblJobAwardStatusDetail JAS WITH(NOLOCK) ON JA.JobAwardID = JAS.JobAwardID

INNER JOIN dbo.tblCabDeviceMappingDetail CD WITH(NOLOCK) ON JA.MappingID = CD.MappingID

INNER JOIN dbo.tblCabMaster CM WITH(NOLOCK) ON CD.CabID = CM.CabID

WHERE CM.CityID = @CityID

AND JobConfirmDateTime BETWEEN @FromDate AND @ToDate

AND BM.JobID not in (Select TS.JobID From tblTripStartDetail TS with (nolock))

AND BMS.BidStatusID = 11 --AND (@CallerID IS NULL OR CabRegistrationNo = @CallerID)

UNION ALL

SELECT

JobID,

cm.CabRegistrationNo,

cm.CabLocation,

CM.Speed

FROM dbo.tblManulJobAwardDetail JM WITH(NOLOCK)

INNER JOIN dbo.tblDeviceMaster DM WITH(NOLOCK) ON JM.DeviceID = DM.DeviceID

INNER JOIN dbo.tblCabDeviceMappingDetail CD WITH(NOLOCK) ON DM.DeviceID = CD.DeviceID

INNER JOIN dbo.tblCabMaster CM WITH(NOLOCK) ON CD.CabID = CM.CabID

WHERE CM.CityID = @CityID --AND (@CallerID IS NULL OR CabRegistrationNo = @CallerID)

AND JAMSentTime BETWEEN @FromDate AND @ToDate

AND JobID NOT IN (SELECT JobID FROM dbo.tblJobCancelDetail WITH(NOLOCK))

AND JobID not in (Select TS.JobID From tblTripStartDetail TS with (nolock))

UNION ALL

SELECT

SD.JobID,

Cab.CabRegistrationNo,

Cab.CabLocation,

Cab.Speed

FROM tblSpecialDirectTripInfo SD

INNER JOIN tblDeviceMaster DM ON SD.SiebelDeviceID = DM.SiebelDeviceID

INNER JOIN tblCabDeviceMappingDetail CD ON DM.DeviceID = CD.DeviceID

INNER JOIN dbo.tblCabMaster Cab with (nolock) ON CD.CabID = Cab.CabID

Where SD.CityID = @CityID

AND CommandSentTime BETWEEN @FromDate AND @ToDate

AND SD.JobID NOT IN (SELECT JobID FROM dbo.tblJobCancelDetail WITH(NOLOCK))

AND SD.JobID not in (Select TS.JobID From tblTripStartDetail TS with (nolock))

AND SD.IsDeleted = 0

) a

LEFT JOIN ( -- b

SELECT

JobID AS AJobID,

CONVERT(VARCHAR(17),MsgReceivedDateTime,113) AS SAtime

FROM dbo.tblSendArrivalSMSDetail WITH(NOLOCK)

WHERE MsgReceivedDateTime BETWEEN @FromDate AND @ToDate

) b

ON a.JobID = b.AJobID

) c

LEFT JOIN ( -- d

SELECT

JobID AS NJobID,

CONVERT(VARCHAR(17),MsgReceivedDateTime,113) AS NStime

FROM dbo.tblStandardMessageReceivedDetail WITH(NOLOCK)

WHERE MsgReceivedDateTime BETWEEN @FromDate AND @ToDate

) d

ON c.JobID = d.NJobID

WHERE JobID NOT IN (SELECT JobID FROM dbo.tblTripStartDetail TS WITH(NOLOCK))

AND JobID NOT IN (SELECT JobID FROM dbo.tblTripEndDetail TE WITH(NOLOCK))

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Chris Sir,thanks a lot. I have pasted a latest post. Could you please see that screenshot and advise.

The SPIDs are changing frequently and they are multi-threaded. Wait type is Latch_Ex and Resource is ACCESS_METHODS_SCAN_RANGE_GENERATOR. I see same SPIds in suspended state and blocking each other. This is causing prouction issue and users are getting affected. Please help on how to fix this sir.

• coolchaitu (8/3/2015)

Chris Sir,thanks a lot. I have pasted a latest post. Could you please see that screenshot and advise.

The SPIDs are changing frequently and they are multi-threaded. Wait type is Latch_Ex and Resource is ACCESS_METHODS_SCAN_RANGE_GENERATOR. I see same SPIds in suspended state and blocking each other. This is causing prouction issue and users are getting affected. Please help on how to fix this sir.

I see poorly written queries with inadequate indexing, both of which are likely to lead to performance problems whatever method you use to measure performance - and you've tried a few. Addressing these would be a priority for any experienced TSQL developer. Tweaking server-level settings may help a little in some parts of your application but it's not really an appropriate response. A few index tweaks could also get you out of trouble for a while but the problem would still exist and come back to bite you when data volumes increase.

Rewriting just these two stored procedures and constructing the supporting indexes from whatever is there already is perhaps one day's work. Can you do this? If not, you may wish to consider hiring a professional. Whilst the folks here could help, it would take you some time to construct a data set for them to develop against.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• I am not developer sir. There is Dev team and those developers/programmers have written the code. Please help sir

• coolchaitu (8/3/2015)

I am not developer sir. There is Dev team and those developers/programmers have written the code. Please help sir

Why are you unable to push this issue back to the development team?

• Sir, dev team is saying that dba should be doing it.

• coolchaitu (8/3/2015)

Sir, dev team is saying that dba should be doing it.

Are you the DBA, by any chance?

• Yes sir, i am the junior dba

• coolchaitu (8/3/2015)

Yes sir, i am the junior dba

So escalate it to your boss. This isn't an issue for a junior. Whilst he's dealing with that, get yourself some decent indexing articles and study them. You cannot escape TSQL if you wish to call yourself a DBA so you will have to learn that too.

• If your developers are unwilling to do their job (developing correct, working code), then suggest to your boss that he consider getting someone in who can fix these kinds of problems (SQL consultant)

A lot of us here do that kind of work, and so far you've been having these problems for well over a week without any improvements and there's no magic solution here. Someone (you, your senior, the developers, a consultant) has to analyse the code and rewrite the problematic queries.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Dear Gail Shaw Sir,

Thanks for the inputs. Can you please suggest an excellent comprehensive book/material that covers beginning to expert dba internals and concepts

• Start with Itzik Ben-Gan's book T-SQL Fundamentals. It's not a performance tuning book, but it'll give you a good grounding in writing T-SQL properly.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Gail sir,

How to calculate value that cost threshold for parallelism needs to be set to?

• There's no easy way, and to be honest the hard way is not worth doing. Most people just use a value larger than 5. Some say 20, some say 30, some say 50.

Changing it is not going to magically fix your problems. It may help a little, but do not expect that you set it and your problem is fixed. It won't be.

Gail Shaw

• Madam, i am junior dba. I was told that this forum have great,SQL experts,kind hearted people with good virtues like all of you here and willing to help. Our environment is very laid back and not at all critical, hardly we get transactions. So, no problem if i take 3 or more weeks of time to do improvement. Please help on resolving the issue.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply