A Server is Not a Machine

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item A Server is Not a Machine

• While I agree that SQL Server has come a long way, after spending a week with 2 professional and experienced IBM DB2 DBA's and 2 professional and experienced Oracle DBA's, I see so many ways to make it better. The thing about your post that really stuck out to me was referring to SQL Server databases as having "everything self-contained". The biggest drawback I see with SQL Server is the recoverability issues related to the master database. According to the IBM guys, their DB2 databases are "completely" self contained and have no requirement to either restore a master DB and then a user DB to an instance or create a master DB and attach user DB's to it. The database, again according to them, is an entire complete object that needs no such connections. I have no doubt that the Microsoft software engineers are aware of these differences but I have no idea if they want to or can implement some of the apparently great features of the other DB products. It may be a cultural thing where, as I see it, Microsoft is more dependent on the DBA to use best practices rather than rely on the product to ENFORCE best practices. Another example is that a DB2 database, when changed from simple to full recovery model, automatically goes into standby mode awaiting a backup by the DBA and stays in standby until it is done. It forces the DBA to guarantee a good point in time recovery. With SQL Server, the DBA just does what he deems appropriate and when. It is a different culture.

The many differences between these products have probably already been discussed by each vendor and evaluated for value in the product and the established culture in which they are used, and who knows what the next edition will bring.

But I agree with the original point. SQL Server has come a LONG way and it is an awesome product.

Peter Trast
    Microsoft Certified ...(insert many literal strings here)
    Microsoft Design Architect with Alexander Open Systems

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply