A New Beginning

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item A New Beginning

• My area of improvement next year is to improve my skills in the BI sector. I am going on the MCTS BI course in January and hope to continue my improvement throughout the year

• I wrote up my goals and intentions on my blog. Post scheduled for midnight (my time). What I'm focusing on next year is not SQL Server though.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I have planned to improve my performance tuning skill.

Starting with "SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled" by Grant Fritchey.

-Vikas Bindra

• Is "All Of The Above" an option?

SSRS, SSIS and XML/XSLT tranformations.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Vikas and I share the same resolution: improve my performance tuning skill.

But I'm also half way into reading about DWing, I expect to have some proof of concepts up and running by the end of Jan 2010.

I'm also planning on setting up clustering for fail over and replication to off load some of the departmental work to other Sql Servers with less activity.

-Scott Gleason

• Hehe, did you mean to ask, "are you looking to improve in 2010"

I would go for attention to detail!

🙂

• I'll definitely be working to improve my SSIS skills in 2010.

• This year I focused on SSIS and SSAS. Next year I'd like to get beyond tinkering with SSRS and really get to know it.

Terrie

• Personal goals: Sucessfully complete MCITP, learn more about SSIS, SSRS; organize our first SQL Saturday at CBusPASS user group

Don't sweat the small stuff

Work goals: SSRS up and running to replace Crystal Reports, implement auditing in SQL, all SQL instances upgraded to SQL 2008

• I am there with some of the other comments: performance tuning skills (reading Grant Fritchey's paper), build better monitoring scripts (and find a nice way to display them to my boss through SSRS so I can prove that we need more servers 😉 and finally, find the time and patience to mentor others to write better SQL code.

Happy New Year to all.

"Any fool can write code that a computer can understand. Good programmers write
    code that humans can understand." -Martin Fowler et al, Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code, 1999

• Learning PowerShell

• We recently upgraded all our SQL Server instances from 2000 to 2008, so my goal (as a developer, not a DBA) is pretty simple -- to learn more about the 2008 enhancements and figure out where they'll best be used to improve our databases and applications.

• Day in and day out is currently spent with SSRS, so I am going to learn SSIS. I used DTS quite a few years back so I think that I will pick it up pretty quick. The next step after SSIS will be SSAS.

• In this order SSAS, SSRS, SSIS.

But how does one do this well without actually having a business requirement to fulfill?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply