A little advice please on Business Intelligence

• Hello all.

Need a little advice if thats ok on a few points.

First a little about myself if thats ok.

I'm at a crossroads in life with my career and i am close to committing to going down the BI road. I have been a Crystal Reports writer since 1997 and have used all versions from then until version 2008 now. I consider myself an expert Crystal Reports Developer. Along the way i have also seen and used all the version of SQL Server from 6.5 to 2005, I am yet to cross swords with SQL 2008, not even seen it or read up on it yet. I know my way around SQL 2005 but am no expert. I was an acting DBA on SQL 6.5 for several years way back, but never took that futher. I have always had a home network and SQL server (sad i know) to train and develop on, that remains.

Now, i would like a little advice on whether i should go ahead and get the Microsoft press book for SQL 2005 BI (70-445 exam) or bypass that and go for SQL 2008 BI (70-448 exam) instead. Is there any real benefit doing 2005 first ? I do intend to take whatever exam at prometric when im done. On amazon there is only 1 reveiw for the 2008 book and none for the 2005 book. So has anyone got any comments about these books? Money is tight at the moment as i have moved from the UK and am now in Norway, i need to get the right books as I am taking this opportunity to bring myself up-to-date in some areas. I have got my hands on some training vids of BI for 2005 but there is one particular area that was lacking and thats how (and the best practices) to get from your day to day database to the datawarehouse version that you interrogate with cubes, and reporting services etc. I presume its all done within SSIS, however i am not sure on this.

I would also love to hear some comments from those of you that have Business Objects (SAP) BI experience as well as the SQL version about. Is there a book on SAP's BI that you would recommend ?

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards,

Simon

• What are your goals? Those will define where you should go next.

I have both the 2005 and 2008 BI certification books. They're basically the same thing, and I assume the exams are very similar as well (I took and passed 2008, but not 2005). If your goal is to get certified, then I recommend picking up the 2008 book, working through that, and then working through many practice tests. Obviously all the experience-vs-certification dynamics are at play; your certification is essentially worthless without experience, but the certification will help to validate your experience.

If you're looking for resume fodder, get the certification and then work through some of the more detailed books. Brian Larson's Delivering Business Intelligence with SQL Server 2008 is a good one to start with. You'll probably gain an interest in one or more tools and concepts, and go towards detailed training in those.

• My goal is to become Multi-functional within Reporting / Business Intelligence. I'm looking to add some more feathers to my cap. I cannot get employment here in Norway solely on my Crystal Reports expertise. I need to do more and BI is big here. I intend to do it properly and pass any exam. SAP/Business Objects BI platform is as big here as Microsofts'. Also i have to admit i like what i have seen in SSAS, the power there is amazing.

What I have ;

Crystal Reports Development ;

Report Writing - Expert

Writing .NET windows Applications using Crystal Reports - Good

Writing .NET IIS Applications using Crystal Reports - Good

Using Exported Crystal Reports within Excel using macros - Expert

SQL Server 2005 ;

SSIS - Experienced - put together really complex 7hr+ stepped Jobs EG. Cache to SQL databases.

SSRS - Inexperienced but have the understanding. To me SSRS has never been good enough.

SSAS - Can put together cubes but generally inexperienced, but have the understanding.

Fully Qualified MCSA.

Own licenced copies of SQL 2005 server, Visual Studio 2005, Crystal Reports 8, 8.5, XI and 2008, Excelcius.

I am not merely trying buff my CV, it is going to be a fully committed attempt.

Also what is the work options like within BI 2005 and 2008, i presume there is a lot more BI 2005 work that 2008 ? I cant imagine huge amounts of companies migrating to 2008 from 2005 for the sake of it? although time is ticking.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply