64-bit Review

• I am currently looking into creating a datacenter server and the question has arisen regarding 32-bit comparision to 64-bit SQL.  While I am in the middle of reading up and researching the topic, I would like to know the benefits, and pitfalls, of going to SQL 64-bit.  I would like to hear your experiences.

• My place is working on the assumption that during 2007 all new software will be released in 64-bit format only, and vendors will only market 64-bit servers.  If you look at how quickly the *nix and mainframe worlds moved to 64-bit when the OS and HW support was in place, and the fact that Windows is very trailing edge on this, 2007 for effective end of new 32-bit stuff looks reasonable.

We also think that the next year could be a rough ride for people moving to 64-bit in Windows.  We want to see SQL2005 SP1 in place before we start our move from 32-bit SQL2000 to 64-bit SQL2005.  The same applies for other products that Microsoft says are now fully operational at 64-bit.

You need to take a view on the stability issue.  You also need to take a view on the desired life of your new servers, and if this goes into 2009 be aware that all of your apps may need 64-bit before then.  Finally, take a view on how long 32-bit stuff will still be useable.  Balance the risks of going 64-bit now on a new data center with the need to replace your servers in the 2007/2008 timeframe if you go 32-bit. 

If you ask this question in a year's time, I expect everyone will say 64-bit is a no-brainer, just do it.  Today you have some risks, but that is life.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• We wen't 64-bit server for our main production DB cluster november last year, the advantages just outweighed the few disadvantages we've identified (and there are always workarounds to be found if you look hard enough).

That said, we did stay with 32-bit for the web servers but mainly due to cost at the time.

I'd agree with 2007 as being a reasonable time to bring 32-bit computing to an end, I really can't see it progressing much past then.

• Thanks guys.  Did any of your applications encounter difficulties when you moved from 32 to 64?  Most of my application servers will remain 32 while the database they use will be 64.  Have either of you, or anyone else for that matter, dealt with this kind of setup?  What about HW issues?

I have to come up with a proposal very soon and will have to make a choice about which SQL to go with.  I am going to stick with SQL2000 for now and then upgrade to 2005 later.  The 32 or 64 is the last piece of th puzzle for me.

• Our apps all live in a middle tier between the web and the DB servers, we did that because of problems encountered getting 32-bit code to run properly on 64-bit servers (possibly better on the x64 but we're using itaniums).

I'd love to upgrade to 2005 as soon as possible, but at a projected $100K to upgrade our versions there's not much chance justifying it for the next 6-12 months, i suppose i'll have to be happy with the developer edition on our test servers till then.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply