64 Bit OS or Not

• Has anyone else seen this issue? I've got a new 64 bit machine. I installed the 64 bit version of SQL Server. I was looking around at some of the properties and found, in the Configuration Manager, that it thought I wasn't running 64bit. What the heck?

On the left are the server properties from the instance. On the right are the advanced properties for the same instance in Configuration Manager. Sing it with me, one of these things is not like the other...

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Just checked one of my SQL Server 2008 installations, same thing as yours. Interesting. I think this requires more research, just not right now.

• Lynn Pettis (4/23/2010)

Just checked one of my SQL Server 2008 installations, same thing as yours. Interesting. I think this requires more research, just not right now.

I'm sure I'm running the 64bit version on a 64bit OS, but the discrepancy bothers me. I've been doing a bit of googling (so, please no one post a "Let me google that for you") but I haven't found anyone else that's noticed this.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Mine is that way too. Another interesting thing...if you click on it, the little "tool tip" thing that shows up says: "Indicates whether this 32-bit service is running on a 64-bit operating system".

I'm assuming that the 32-bit service bit is a typo?

The Redneck DBA

• Jason Shadonix (4/23/2010)

Mine is that way too. Another interesting thing...if you click on it, the little "tool tip" thing that shows up says: "Indicates whether this 32-bit service is running on a 64-bit operating system".

I'm assuming that the 32-bit service bit is a typo?

That's part of what's making me nervous, except for the other evidence. But I think, possibly, that's related to the fact that some of the bits & pieces of SQL Server are still 32 bit. For example, do you also have the "SQL Server Network Configuration (32 bit) entry? That's just a 32 bit network driver.

• Interesting, I as well have this ...

Being that SELECT SERVERPROPERTY('Edition') is telling me 64bit, and my o/s is telling me it's x64, I'm pretty certain that it's simply something wrong with the configuration manager.

Interested in hearing more on this though.

• Guys

just checked my SQL Server 2008 Ent x64 instance and guess what?? Yep, you got it, it's the same as yours

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlsetupandupgrade/thread/e83b5ded-8cda-468d-ac36-1b8c31b1073b

It turns out that the label is very confusing. There is a bug filed on it in the SQL bug database and it will hopefully get fixed in the future to make this clearer. It turns out that this field shows if you are running a 32-bit version of SQL under a 64-bit OS (as in WoW). I had an X64 machine here with a 64-bit instance of SQL and a 32-bit instance of SQL. The field shows "No" for the 64-bit version of SQL and "Yes" for the 32-bit version of SQL. A bit misleading, but "correct" if you look at it in this way. 🙂

Thanks,

Sam Lester (MSFT)

• Adam Bean (4/23/2010)

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlsetupandupgrade/thread/e83b5ded-8cda-468d-ac36-1b8c31b1073b

It turns out that the label is very confusing. There is a bug filed on it in the SQL bug database and it will hopefully get fixed in the future to make this clearer. It turns out that this field shows if you are running a 32-bit version of SQL under a 64-bit OS (as in WoW). I had an X64 machine here with a 64-bit instance of SQL and a 32-bit instance of SQL. The field shows "No" for the 64-bit version of SQL and "Yes" for the 32-bit version of SQL. A bit misleading, but "correct" if you look at it in this way. 🙂

Thanks,

Sam Lester (MSFT)

Ah, you found something. Cool. I had stopped looking and was getting ready to post it to the MVP newsgroup.

Thanks, that pretty much explains it.

• Hi,

If you are running SQL Server 2008 64 bits on Windows 2008 64 bits the advanced properties shows as in attachment file.

How did you get the advanced properties for your SQL Server?

Thanks

• dtipser (4/23/2010)

Hi,

If you are running SQL Server 2008 64 bits on Windows 2008 64 bits the advanced properties shows as in attachment file.

How did you get the advanced properties for your SQL Server?

Thanks

It's not the advanced properties in SQL Server. It's the advanced properties for the instance inside Configuration Manager.

• I know this is the 2008 forum, but the same label oddity exists with 2005 too.

I remember being very confused when having a look at one of the shiny new 64bit servers we had 😀

• Thaks for your explanation. You're right. In Configuration Manager I have the same value for this property.

• natalie.davies (4/23/2010)

I know this is the 2008 forum, but the same label oddity exists with 2005 too.

I remember being very confused when having a look at one of the shiny new 64bit servers we had 😀

It's not exactly something that gives you a warm & fuzzy when you see it. I'm suddenly concerned that I've screwed up something horribly... not fun.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply