431 Training Kit - Chapter 8

• Hi,

Just wondering if anyone else finds Chapter 8 a hard one. I just did Lesson 2 and although I did all the SQL examples when I got to the practice questions I was pretty well lost. Is XML a large percentage of the overall exam points?

Any other ways to learn XQuery/XPath in SQL?

Allen

• NDA, we could tell you but then we'd have to kill you

• Let me think on it, it's not a straight no.

• I too, find the chapter on XML nebulous. Not seeking any illegal answers here, but a tip or two on where to expand on the material would be very helpful and much appreciated. :unsure:

Mike C.

• Thanks Steve. The XML Workshop series look like a nice gentle way in.

• Ditto.

Thanks Steve.

• XML in 2005 seems to be really difficult for beginners when seen from the exam perspective.

Also the HTTP endpoints and service broker is something new we got to learn..

• I agree

I skimmed through the XML chapter in 70-431 book quickly

Then I changed a job, then I had to learn and use XML functions and now I'm pretty good at it

Nothing beats actually using the skills to gain experiences at work

SQLServerNewbieMCITP: Database Administrator SQL Server 2005
  • Nothing beats actually using the skills to gain experiences at work

oh thats really true.. but i wonder if some DBA of today would really work in an environment where XML and service broker is already implemented :hehe:

• Arun (10/12/2008)

Nothing beats actually using the skills to gain experiences at work

oh thats really true.. but i wonder if some DBA of today would really work in an environment where XML and service broker is already implemented :hehe:

Here are a couple of areas where a DBA could use XML methodology to create useful analysis tools:

(1) deadlock info stored in the SQL ERRORLOG as XML

(2) execution plans of costly queries: looking for sub-optimal operators, such as hash joins, index scans etc.

XML is really a development tool - as DBAs we need to think of ways to use it for our every day monitoring and tuning.

__________________________________________________________________________________
    SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables[/url]
    Persisting SQL Server Index-Usage Statistics with MERGE[/url]
    Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 2[/url]

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply