2014 - Are you using it and are there any reported issues?

• I am having a really hard time finding any articles or blogs mentioning issues with 2014. I suppose that is a good thing 🙂 Can anyone point me to a summary or talk about their own issues? Have you made the jump to it yet?

Jared
    CE - Microsoft

• First of all, try it. Have you got an MSDN subscription? Or make use of the free trial. You have spin up a trial SQL Server 2014 VM in a few minutes.

Also, you could have a look though connect items for SQL Server 2014, eg

Here's another post I was working on, where on upgrading from SQL 2008 to 2014 there was a significant performance degradation, albeit with a terrible query. There are a number of workarounds, a connect item, even a native compiled proc rewrite:

• SQLKnowItAll (5/21/2014)

I am having a really hard time finding any articles or blogs mentioning issues with 2014. I suppose that is a good thing 🙂 Can anyone point me to a summary or talk about their own issues? Have you made the jump to it yet?

We have 2005 and are setting up for upgrade. Since 2014 doesn't support migrations from 2005, we'll first upgrade to 2012 and then wait for 2014 SP1. Based on the CONNECT list of bugs, we might wait until SP2. 😉 I say that a little tongue-in-cheek because with as slow as things are progressing on this "little" project, we might not be ready for 2014 until SP2.:pinch:

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Thanks for the thoughts. The list of connect items is really where I was focused, but I was curious of anything else that people have seen. We'll continue our testing and probably move forward; i.e. I believe we have more to be gained from upgrading our 2012 stuff to 2014 than not.

Jared
    CE - Microsoft

• I believe we have more to be gained from upgrading our 2012 stuff to 2014 than not.

Interesting and I'm curious. What is it that makes you say that?

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (5/28/2014)

I believe we have more to be gained from upgrading our 2012 stuff to 2014 than not.

The main things for us are the In-memory oltp which we will use in several places without persistence. This will save us a lot of space and should increase our performance for these types of staging and session state tables. Other main thing for us is updatable column store for our data loads. Since we are planning on upgrading to 2012 within the next couple of months, we are thinking that it may make more sense to go straight from 2008R2 to 2014 on a side-by-side. However, some of the servers that will benefit from the new features are already 2012.

Jared
    CE - Microsoft

• SQLKnowItAll (5/28/2014)

Thanks for the thoughts. The list of connect items is really where I was focused, but I was curious of anything else that people have seen. We'll continue our testing and probably move forward; i.e. I believe we have more to be gained from upgrading our 2012 stuff to 2014 than not.

Other than what is already in Connect, I haven't really seen issues. Then again, I don't think there is a very high adoption rate yet.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLKnowItAll (5/28/2014)

Jeff Moden (5/28/2014)

I believe we have more to be gained from upgrading our 2012 stuff to 2014 than not.

The main things for us are the In-memory oltp which we will use in several places without persistence. This will save us a lot of space and should increase our performance for these types of staging and session state tables. Other main thing for us is updatable column store for our data loads. Since we are planning on upgrading to 2012 within the next couple of months, we are thinking that it may make more sense to go straight from 2008R2 to 2014 on a side-by-side. However, some of the servers that will benefit from the new features are already 2012.

Thanks for the info. Always curious to see what's on other folks' minds for stuff like this.

I'm really happy to hear you'll be doing all of this in a side-by-side fashion. There are certainly a couple of items in CONNECT about it but one of the things that scares the beejeezus out of me is some of the stories I've heard about installation and update problems. It's not that those type of problems haven't existed in previous versions, though, but that's why I always try to do migrations rather than in-place updates.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• SQLRNNR (5/28/2014)

SQLKnowItAll (5/28/2014)

Thanks for the thoughts. The list of connect items is really where I was focused, but I was curious of anything else that people have seen. We'll continue our testing and probably move forward; i.e. I believe we have more to be gained from upgrading our 2012 stuff to 2014 than not.

Other than what is already in Connect, I haven't really seen issues. Then again, I don't think there is a very high adoption rate yet.

Heh... I'm almost sorry I looked at that particular CONNECT link. Lots and lots of active bugs. I didn't make it through all of them (I think {IIRC} it was page 28 where I quit looking). Admittedly, some are real edge cases and some, like the nasty bug they had with SELECT/INTO insofaras IDENTITY columns, were already fixed but, holy moly there's a lot of bugs. That means a lot of fixes and fixes sometimes mean extra bugs.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (5/28/2014)

SQLRNNR (5/28/2014)

SQLKnowItAll (5/28/2014)

Heh... I'm almost sorry I looked at that particular CONNECT link. Lots and lots of active bugs. I didn't make it through all of them (I think {IIRC} it was page 28 where I quit looking). Admittedly, some are real edge cases and some, like the nasty bug they had with SELECT/INTO insofaras IDENTITY columns, were already fixed but, holy moly there's a lot of bugs. That means a lot of fixes and fixes sometimes mean extra bugs.

257 Active bugs with that search, although... Not all are 2014 related. Change the search to "sql 2012" instead and look at active bugs... 1164. So, go from 2008R2 to 2012 or 2014? 😉 Of course, many may have not yet been reported for 2014 because of its current adoption rate. Test test test!

Jared
    CE - Microsoft

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply