2000/2005 Migration Plan

• I am tasked with the following

1) Install 2 new SQL Server 2005 default instances on two different servers.  One will host our Intranet Database and the other will play host to our Internet Database

2) Migrate one SQL Server 2000 instance containing our two primary databases onto the servers mentioned above.  Intranet database will move to server 1 and Internet database will move to server 2.  Each database is 4GB and 7GB respectively.

I need a migration plan that will cover the basis for doing this.  I need to know where I should be concerned with in terms of splitting a database from one server to the other.  I know in some instances we have queries that assume both databases are on the same server and we join data from both databases in one query.  I also want to make sure we do not overlook any security issues that are needed to keep SQL Server locked down that we may have applied in SQL 2000.  Any assistance in getting started on this will be extremely helpful.

• There is just too much information that would be requried to help you create a migration plan.

Unless you have a great test area and test cases I would recommend being cautious and doing this in phases.

For example:

Phase 1 upgrade everything to one SQL Server 2005 server (work out all the SQL Server 2005 / 2000 issues)

Phase 2 split the databases (work out performance issues and security)

If you can install everything to the new servers and make them "test" servers then I would split the databases and begin testing.  Then all you need is a migration plan for moving the databases to the new servers when you switch them to production. 

If no code changes are required it may be as simple as:

1. Move logins

2. Restore databases

3. Change the database compatibility mode to 90 (SQL Server 2005)

4. Recreate statistics (statistics are lost when restoring a SQL Server 2000 database to SQL Server 2005)

Depending on the complexity of the sites and security these phases could be short or could takes months.

Also have you run the SQL Server 2005 Upgrade Advisor against your current server and application?

You can run it against the database and against a trace captured in profiler. This will give you an idea of how much code must be fixed before attempting the migration.

I don't think this was exactly what you were looking for but hopefully it helps a little.

Good luck,

Mike

• A side-by-side installation would go great and as mentioned by the preious user run the upgrade advisor before you go for the upgrade.

Cheers,
    Sugeshkumar Rajendran
    SQL Server MVP
    http://sugeshkr.blogspot.com

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply