2 sets of count on the same field

• I am trying to perform a Count on the same field to spilt the data up into two sets, Tests and Sessions

SELECT Count(Lesson_CatId a) AS October_Total_Test, Count(Lesson_CatId b) AS October_Total_Sessions

FROM Booking

WHERE a.Lesson_CatId="001" OR a.Lesson_CatId="003" OR a.Lesson_CatId="004" OR b.Lesson_CatId="004" AND (((Lesson_DateSchedule.Lesson_Date) Between #10/1/2008# And #10/31/2008#));

It is not working. How can I make this work.

• cindy_sinath (11/9/2008)

I am trying to perform a Count on the same field to spilt the data up into two sets, Tests and Sessions

SELECT Count(Lesson_CatId a) AS October_Total_Test, Count(Lesson_CatId b) AS October_Total_Sessions

FROM Booking

WHERE a.Lesson_CatId="001" OR a.Lesson_CatId="003" OR a.Lesson_CatId="004" OR b.Lesson_CatId="004" AND (((Lesson_DateSchedule.Lesson_Date) Between #10/1/2008# And #10/31/2008#));

It is not working. How can I make this work.

I really cannot tell from this what you are trying to accomplish. You do not have a table aliased as 'a' or 'b' - so you cannot use either of those aliases. Also, dates in SQL Server are not delimited by # - they need to be delimited by a single quote.

Please review the following and re-post the question with appropriate DDL, sample data and expected results.

Best Practices: http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Okay, first - you need to post in the Access forum instead of a SQL Server forum. Posting in the SQL Server forum will get you T-SQL answers which may or may not (mostly not) work in Access.

So, to your specific question - you probably need to use Iif to calculate these different totals (this would be CASE WHEN ... THEN ... ELSE ... END statement in T-SQL). Something like:

SELECT SUM(iif(Lession_CatId = "002", 1, 0)) AS Total_Test, SUM(iif(Lesson_CatId <> "002", 1, 0)) AS Total_Session, ...

FROM ...

WHERE ...

Another approach, specific to Access would be to create two queries that return your counts for each type - then join those queries in a third query to combine them.

Again - please post Access questions to the Microsoft Access forum.

Thanks.

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• ok thank you. I've transferred everthing to the Ms Access section.

Thank you.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply