100% CPU utilisation

• Hi,

I have a single duel core CPU with 4 GB RAM Windows2003SP2 with SQL2005SP2. After applying SP2 for SQL the CPU utilisation is going to 100%. SQL Server is taking all the CPU and application timeout is occuring. Please suggest

• chandu.ade (10/6/2009)

Hi,

I have a single duel core CPU with 4 GB RAM Windows2003SP2 with SQL2005SP2. After applying SP2 for SQL the CPU utilisation is going to 100%. SQL Server is taking all the CPU and application timeout is occuring. Please suggest

Can you give more details, as in what else is running on the server at this time and is it at 100% cpu constantly or spiking at 100%. have you looked at what queries/jobs are running on the server, or have you looked at the performance dashboard.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [highlight]Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and[/highlight]
    [highlight]solve commonly asked questions[/highlight]

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]
    Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw[/url]
    How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw[/url]
    Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw[/url]

• CPU utilization can go to 100% in normal operation. The thing you need to trace and determine is which queries are causing that. You can tune those, or better isolate what might have changed.

• Hi All,

Thanks lot for your quick reply. Basically without any load SQL Server engine is taking 99% CPU. We have applied SP2 recently. For 3/4 days it was working fine. There is no change in the application code.

Please let me know if required more information.

Regards,

Chandu

• No load meaning no activity at all? If so that's a bug and you should contact MS. However I have seen many, many SP2 installations with no issues.

• You should be able to see the operations that are taking so much CPU within SQL Server. If nothing else, take a look at sys.dm_exec_requests to see what operations are currently running on the server. You can see the start time, elapsed time, and for your needs, cpu_time of the currently operating queries to see which ones are causing the trouble.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Hey guys,

I am experimenting the same problem, my CPU is at 100% and according with the task manager is being caused by SQL Server, I can see the cpu_time with the sys.dm_exec_requests but I want to know what queries are causing that too.. how can I detect those queries?

Thanks

• Hi,

It was a problem of service pack. So we reverted that. Have you applied service pack like my case.

Please let me know the senario in detail to get the better workaround.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply