Why doesn't this work?

• Why does the @C show nothing? (See results section)

declare @gcASCII char(300), @a CHAR(10), @b-2 char(10), @char CHAR(1), @C char(10)

DECLARE @counter int, @len int, @x char(1)

SET @a= 'MIKE'

set @b-2= ''

set @C= ''

SET @len= LEN( @a)

SET @counter= 1

SET @char = substring( @a, @counter, 1)

WHILE @counter <= @len

BEGIN

set @b-2 = @char + @b-2

set @x = char( 255 - ascII( @char))

print @x

SET @C = @C + @x

set @counter += 1

END

print 'len: ' + cast( @len as char(10))

print 'a: ' + @a

print 'b: ' + @b-2

print 'c: ' + @C + '--'

Results:

²

´

º

len: 4

a: MIKE

b: EKIM

c: --

• I don't have a system to try this on, but I think if you change the definition of @C to varchar, you'll find it will work. Remember, a char(10) will always be ten spaces so if you set it eqaul to itself plus another character and truncate the result to fit into 10 characters, you'll just keep setting it to itself over and over again because it will drop the concatenated character.

And then again, I might be wrong ...
    David Webb

• --Make @C a varchar as in the following:

declare @gcASCII char(300), @a CHAR(10), @b-2 char(10), @char CHAR(1), @C varchar(10)

DECLARE @counter int, @len int, @x char(1)

SET @a = 'MIKE'

set @b-2 = ''

set @C = ''

SET @len = LEN( @a)

SET @counter = 1

WHILE @counter <= @len

BEGIN

set @b-2 = @char + @b-2

set @x = char( 255 - ascII( @char))

print @x

SET @C = @C + @x

set @counter = @counter + 1

END

print 'len: ' + cast( @len as char(10))

print 'a: ' + @a

print 'b: ' + @b-2

print 'c: ' + @C + '--'

• David beat me to it. . .

• That's correct. You're adding to the end of a full string.

You either need to set it to varchar, or turn off ANSI Padding.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• If all you're really trying to do is reverse the string, why not use reverse()?

And then again, I might be wrong ...
    David Webb

• declare @a CHAR(10), @b-2 char(10);

SELECT @a = 'MIKE'

-- Encrypt

SELECT

(SELECT char( 255 - ascII(SUBSTRING(@a, number, 1)))

FROM Common.dbo.Numbers

WHERE number BETWEEN 1 AND LEN(@a)

FOR XML PATH(''), TYPE).value('.[1]','varchar(10)');

SELECT @b-2 = (SELECT char( 255 - ascII(SUBSTRING(@a, number, 1)))

FROM Common.dbo.Numbers

WHERE number BETWEEN 1 AND LEN(@a)

-- Decrypt

SELECT

(SELECT char( 255 - ascII(SUBSTRING(@b, number, 1)))

FROM Common.dbo.Numbers AS N

WHERE number BETWEEN 1 AND LEN(@b)

If you don't have a Numbers table:

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[Numbers](

[Number] [int] NOT NULL,

PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED

(

[Number] ASC

)WITH (PAD_INDEX = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = ON) ON [PRIMARY]

) ON [PRIMARY]

GO

INSERT INTO dbo.Numbers (Number)

SELECT TOP 10001 ROW_NUMBER() OVER (ORDER BY T1.object_id)-1

FROM sys.columns T1

CROSS JOIN sys.columns T2;

I have mine in a database named "Common". You'll need to change the encrypt and decrypt queries to use your database name.

Please note that this kind of encryption is considered extremely weak. It's simple character substitution, and on any reasonably sized sample-set, it can be cracked pretty easily. If you're using it for hobby/entertainment, that's fine. Don't use it in a business-critical situation where real security is necessary.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Forgot one part. Add "ORDER BY number" between the Where clause and the For XML clause. It'll usually work without that, but isn't guaranteed.

Property of The Thread

• SQL Server provides extensive built-in support for encryption, there's no need to roll your own.

See Cryptographic Functions (Transact-SQL)

Also, if you were to implement some kind of custom routine like this (for reasons that escape me), a SQLCLR routine would likely provide significant benefits.

• Heh... you know what they call people who try to "roll their own" when it comes to encryption? Hacked and unemployed.

Don't try to write your own encryption or even a mild obfuscation unless you happen to know a whole lot about cryptology.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• What would you recommend for storing credit card information? Using 2008 encryption or a 3rd party?

• mike 57299 (4/19/2010)

What would you recommend for storing credit card information? Using 2008 encryption or a 3rd party?

Either, so long as it meets the requirements. If you are storing CC info, you probably need to comply with:

https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/security_standards/pci_dss.shtml

• Paul White NZ (4/19/2010)

mike 57299 (4/19/2010)

What would you recommend for storing credit card information? Using 2008 encryption or a 3rd party?

Either, so long as it meets the requirements. If you are storing CC info, you probably need to comply with:

https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/security_standards/pci_dss.shtml

3rd party. Built-in means SQL knows how to decrypt it, so it ain't much of an encryption. Besides - you get better access to stronger algorithms.

That said - is there a GOOD reason to store them at all? I shudder every time I hear that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Yes, we have to store them as we offer "card on file" options. Do you have any good 3rd party software that can be used in SQL, .net operations and activex.

Thanks,

Mike

• Matt Miller (#4) (4/19/2010)

3rd party. Built-in means SQL knows how to decrypt it, so it ain't much of an encryption.

Not sure what you mean here, Matt. Are you suggesting that some component of SQL Server is always able to decrypt anything encrypted using one of the built-in functions? :unsure:

Besides - you get better access to stronger algorithms.

SQL Server provides a range of algorithms that are suitable for most purposes, AES-256 for example. Private keys can be up to 2048 bits. An external provider can be used via EKM.

Encryption Hierarchy

Cryptographic Functions (Transact-SQL)

Understanding Extensible Key Management (EKM)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply