Where Is '2000 Enterprise Mgr > Current Activity' In 2008 Studio?

• We just upgraded from SQL 2000 to 2008. Don't have formal training. Didn't with 2000 - between browsing around and websites like this I figured out enough to do what was needed. SQL Server is used for 3rd party ERP system. For most everything it runs fine, we don't need to do much with it. When performance is sluggish I used to look at Enterprise Manager > Current Activity and figure out who's activity was causing a lock and ask that person to exit the app and re-enter (I assume the root cause was some shortcoming in the app's code because more often than not the person was actually inactive at the time).

I can't find anything in SSMS that is the equivalent. Search Help for 'current activity', 'process info', 'locks' doesn't produce any hits that guide me.

How can I look at the process' activity info in SSMS?

[font="Verdana"]"The Road To Success Is Always Under Construction."[/font]

• Unfortunately, those views no longer exist in SSMS. I miss them too. You'll have to open a query tab and use the sp_who and sp_who2 system stored procedures (or a third party app).

• From Object Explorer - right click on the server and select Activity Monitor. Or, you can launch Activity Monitor from the toolbar button when the server is selected.

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Thanks.

I looked at the two sp's. Been browsing for a 3rd party tool that might help.

Take care.

• You can also download and install Performance Dashboard from Microsoft.

Jeffrey Williams

• Thanks.

Been looking at Activity Monitor.

Dashboard - Is there now a version for 2008? I've found some websites where the person is talking about modifications to the 2005 version to get it to work - ticks or something?

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see information that shows when locks are impacting users like Enterprise Mgr showed.

• I use the Performance Dashboard in SSMS 2008 with no problems. I know there are a couple of issues running the reports against a 2008 system, but for the most part it works.

Jeffrey Williams

• Rats! After an hour of finding, reading about, and downloading DashboardPerformance I get errors when attempting to install the sp's:

Invalid column name ... cpu_ticks_in_ms

Cannot find usp_Main_GetCPUHistory

This is what I saw in reading the webpages yesterday.

This is where I get nervous ... I could follow the editing instructions to make the necessary changes, BUT, this is unfamiliar territory for me and I prefer not to go where I have a lack of knowledge about what is going on.

Hmm. Let me think about this - whether or not I want to go blindly forward.

• I feel like I'm blogging...

I've been playing with Activity Monitor and slowly gleaning items of value.

Finally noticed how I can catch 'blocks' in the PROCESSES section.

At one point I thought I was able to change the refresh interval - and set it to a slower pace. Now I can't find where I made the change (if I actually did make a change). Help wasn't much help in the 'How Do I', 'Conents', or 'Index' areas. Only when I selected 'Search' did any hits come up. Sheesh. From there I found how to change the intervals. Phew.

Have a good weekend everyone! Thanks for your help.

• You can do a select of the fields you're interested in from master.dbo.sysprocesses (db_name(dbid) gives you the database name when it is not 0). This works on SS 2000 and SS 2008.

The Activity Monitor in SSMS does not work on SS 2000 servers but can be activated for 2008 by right clicking the Server Instance and selecting Activity Monitor.

Steve

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply