trigger for updating a table based on another

• Can after update triggers be used from executing a trigger in a table based on a different trigger

thanks

• I'm not clear on what you're asking.

If you need to know if a trigger on Table A can do things (insert/update/delete) in Table B, then the answer is yes. And if Table B has one or more triggers on it, and the option for cascading triggers is enabled, then those can be fired by those modifications in Table B.

Is that what you're asking?

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Sorry for the confusion

This is what i am trying to do

whenever a product or products are made inactive on the company table i want to make that company inactive fro which we no longer carry products

product table is defined as

productID smallint

ProductName char(3000)

Isactive bit

company table is defined as

productName char(3000)

CompanyName char(3000)

IsActive bit

so when a productName is discontinued we and isactive = false on product table the companyName should be made deactive as well as well, i hope that explained it

thanks

• Check the Recursive Triggers Enabled option on your database.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190739.aspx

You should be able to trigger deactivating the company on condition that all products are deactivated.

• SQLTestUser (9/19/2011)

Sorry for the confusion

This is what i am trying to do

whenever a product or products are made inactive on the company table i want to make that company inactive fro which we no longer carry products

product table is defined as

productID smallint

ProductName char(3000)

Isactive bit

company table is defined as

productName char(3000)

CompanyName char(3000)

IsActive bit

so when a productName is discontinued we and isactive = false on product table the companyName should be made deactive as well as well, i hope that explained it

thanks

Okay. That's not a trigger recursion issue. You just need a trigger on the Product table that updates the Company table.

Might look like:

create trigger CompanyInactive on dbo.Product

for Update

as

update dbo.Company

set IsActive = 0

where ProductName in (select ProductName from inserted where IsActive = 0);

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Joe, "...and companies all have a DUNS...." is incorrect. There is no requirement that a company have a DUNS, and, since there is a 30-day wait while they are issued, unless requrested by phone (which has fees attached to it), even companies that plan to get one won't necessarily have one at all times. Many individuals won't have one, but would qualify as "companies" in this context if they can provide a product that needs to be tracked in this database.

The rest of what you posted is just useless. That piece is just plain wrong.

Property of The Thread

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply