Sql Server Agent Job status "Performing completion actions"

• Sql Server (2000) Enterprise Manager>Management>Sql Server Agent>Jobs:

Job status "Performing completion actions"

I have four database backup maintenance jobs that are scheduled to run nightly. They have been running without a problem for many months. Now I have noticed that the status on all four jobs is "Performing completion actions".

When this happened last week I just stopped and started the sqlserver agent service and everything went back to working properly.

Now the Job status "Performing completion actions" has come back only this time when I stop and restart the sqlserveragent service I get the following message when attempting to restart the service:

Could not start the SQLSERVERAGENT service: Error 2186: the service is not responding to the control function.

Can someone tell me what this means and how I can get the job to return to a normal status?

Thanks,

Howard

• I would start with checking for any other error / warning messages in all 3 event logs for the exact time you try to start your Agent. Look at the security log, maybe there is something with startup account, don't tell me it is LocalSytem, I had a case once when a server support removed LocalSystem from permissions on SQL folders. The nothing SQL coulsd start. It is true that I was getting something like Login Failed or Permission Denied messages then.

Then I would check SQL Server logs and several last usable Agent logs: there sure must something exists there.

Yelena

Regards,Yelena Varsha

• Thanks for the suggestions. I checked the logs and nothing unusual.

I finally restarted the server and everything came up okay. Still don't know what is causing this problem to occur twice in the last two weeks.

Howard

• Howard,

I had a couple of cases when a service (I think it was SQL Server Agent) was in a strange state: not completely shut down, not completely started. There was something that did not let it to start normally, don't really remeber what, some process. But I do remember  that I had to set a startup type to Disabled, restart the server and then re-set the startup type to automatic again.

Do the following when it happens again: check in Services on the service properties, what is its state and what functions (start, stop...) are enabled.

Also in the Task Manager show processes for all users and check if the process sqlagent.exe is running. The reason for the behavior that you are seeing is that for some reason some tasks could not finish ("performing...." status of the job) , sqlagent process or child processes are still running when you thing you did shut down the service and that is why it can not restart. I saw this behavior with some other apps.

Hope this helps.

Yelena

Regards,Yelena Varsha

• Thanks for information. I will check this out if this happens again.

Howard

• Is you SQL Server Agent Service running under its own account? If so, any issues with contacting the domain controller. If not - both SQL Services should be running under a separate account, not the local system account.

• Both SQL Service and Sql Server Agent are running the service under the same account 'SQLService' account, not the local system account.

• Check this

HTH

* Noel

• Noel:

Thanks for the input. I had looked at this incident from Microsoft earlier but I don't believe that it is the cause of my problem or I am not sure that if is the cause since my problem is intermittent.

Thanks,

Howard

• are those Jobs sending email at the end?

are those Jobs Email Profile using the Address book?

If the answer is yes then my post applies even intermitent because it all depends on the availability of exchenge. A cycle on the agent will create a new session handler for the email an problem is solved at that moment. if is any of the above questions is no then you can look somewhere else but it has been my experience that this is usually the case.

HTH

* Noel

• Noel:

The jobs are sending the email on job completion or job failure.

How do I know if the jobs are using the Address Book?

Howard

• 1. login the machine with the SQLAgent service Account.

2. Open the MS Outlook Profile and Follow the instructions on the link I posted earlier on how to remove it!

HTH

* Noel

• Noel:

Thanks for all of your help.

Howard

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply