Remote backup via VPN connection

• I can connect remotely to three SQL Server 2000 databases via a VPN connection. I have two maintenance plans on the remote server for each database. One backs up the logs every two hours between 8am and 8pm each day. Another backs up the entire databases after 10pm.

For disaster recovery reasons I would like to get a copy of the backup of the logs and the databases onto my server.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to accomplish this?

Thanks,

ersonName w:st="on">Howard BockersonName>

• This could be one way...

Create a shared drive on your remote servers - backup your .bak to this folder - map to it from your server and download the files.

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

• Thanks for the reply.

I was hoping for a way to compress the backups prior to copying them to my server.

• You could do a differential instead of full...

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

• Some good ideas.

Thanks for your help.

Howard

• You can shell out with xp_cmdshell (right) and run something like WinZip's wzzip to compress and weak encrypt after the backup is done. It's fairly reliable. Use UNC for your file path names, though. Give it enough time to finish compressing before moving it, e.g. through the next step in a job. If you have issues finding out when the file is ready to send, take a look at this interesting article:

http://www.databasejournal.com/features/mssql/article.php/3492046

• This is along the lines of what I would like to do. Since the backup file already exists on the remote server I would like to run the command line winzip, zip the backup, copy it over the vpn to my server and then delete the zip file.

I was thinking of creating a bat file and then schedule the job to run each night with an EM maintenance plan.

Does this sound logical to you or is there a better way to accomplish the task?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply