query for getting distinct id in contact log

• I have contact and contact_log tables. They can be joined via contactid. As you can imagine it is 1 to many relationship. What I want is to get "distinct" contactid based on the most recent contact date in contact_log table. Can any one help?

Thanks,

• Please try:

WITH TestCTE AS(SELECT contactID

,logDate

,ROW_NUMBER() OVER (PARTITION BY contactID

ORDER BY logDate DESC) AS rowNumber

FROM contact_log)

SELECT contactID

,logDate

FROM TestCTE

WHERE rowNumber = 1

• [font="Verdana"]Thanks Milla. You read the question way better than I did, and I think your solution will be more appropriate.[/font]

• Milla, thanks for the beautiful code. I appreciate it. By joining the contact table to the first select statement I got what I want.

Bruce, I appreciate your help as well, but I could not have a chance to look at your idea (no matter it is good or not good). You took it down too fast 😉

Thanks, guys. Good day!

• When I copied Milla's code to a stored procedure, I needed to use a dynamic sql, then an error is raised: The identifier ... maximum is 128. I added a join statement to the code, so it became long enough to be over 128. Any smart idea?

Never mind. I figured it out. I made a mistake of using double quotes instead of single quotes in dynamic sql.

Also I was able to create a view instead of a named query. In this case I have a warning on OVER keyword, but I still could run it. Why? I don't know. I just tried and it worked. For anyone who is interested... 🙂

Thanks guys...

• Could you please post the code that you are trying to execute?

This might help: http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic208737-8-1.aspx

• Milla,

Thanks so much again. Yes, the link helped and he found the same mistake as I did. 🙂

Good day!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply