Output as CSV file.

• i got this query which gives me the read and write count of all the tables in the database. the output whihc i get has 6 columns and 381 rows evrytime. now is there any way to run this as a job and have the output as a csv file. I have to run it at several times a day to get the numbers.

• That's what SSIS jobs are for. In this case, an ADO input and a simple CSV output, with optional (and recommended) error handling.

• thank you for the reply. can you please explain it a bit more how to go about it.

• take a look at "SQL Server Import and Export Wizard".....

its reasonably intuitive and you can save the results as a SSIS file for future mods and also schedule with SQL Server Agent

• bbsr (2/16/2012)

i got this query which gives me the read and write count of all the tables in the database. the output whihc i get has 6 columns and 381 rows evrytime. now is there any way to run this as a job and have the output as a csv file. I have to run it at several times a day to get the numbers.

Why not just store the output of the query in a table to start with so that you can build a bit o' history?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (2/16/2012)

bbsr (2/16/2012)

i got this query which gives me the read and write count of all the tables in the database. the output whihc i get has 6 columns and 381 rows evrytime. now is there any way to run this as a job and have the output as a csv file. I have to run it at several times a day to get the numbers.

Why not just store the output of the query in a table to start with so that you can build a bit o' history?

....and then point excel at the table as a data source...and voila, all the functionality of filters et al in excel and an up todate data set.

do this day in day out with our users...they love it...as do I I cos it is so easy.

ps...just remember to set the permissions on the query/table correctly

edit...this of course assumes you have the necessary SQL licences,,,,which is another thread/debate 😉

• getting back to my question.

can i use this in a job and get the output of the stored procedure (which always returns 6 columns and 381 rows) to the output.csv file?

EXEC master..xp_cmdshell 'osql.exe -S YourServerName -U sa -P secretcode -Q "<my stored procedure name here>" -o "E:\output.csv"'

• bbsr (2/16/2012)

getting back to my question.

can i use this in a job and get the output of the stored procedure (which always returns 6 columns and 381 rows) to the output.csv file?

EXEC master..xp_cmdshell 'osql.exe -S YourServerName -U sa -P secretcode -Q "<my stored procedure name here>" -o "E:\output.csv"'

Yes but don't include the user name or password. Use a "trusted" connection, instead.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• thank you. how do i create a new output file everytime that job runs. i dont want to append but want to have seperate CSV files everytime the job runs.

• (Sorry, I was tied in admin stuff, not at my keyboard.)

Two thoughts on security:

- calling the shell is generally considered unsafe; and

- if you want to give users access to the data, don't give them access to the table itself, only to a view.

I suggested SSIS because I read 'several times a day' as a requirement to export data at certain user-independent intervals, which would make them available to users who would access them at their convenience. (That's how the upstream of our ingestion processes work.)

• bbsr (2/16/2012)

thank you. how do i create a new output file everytime that job runs. i dont want to append but want to have seperate CSV files everytime the job runs.

It will simply overwrite the file that is there. If the file doesn't already exist, it well create it. You actually have to go a bit out of the way to get it to append to a file.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Revenant (2/16/2012)

I absolutely agree but only because most people don't take the time to set up for its use properly. It can, in fact, be done very safely.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• bbsr (2/16/2012)

thank you. how do i create a new output file everytime that job runs. i dont want to append but want to have seperate CSV files everytime the job runs.

You may wish to use the STRTDT and STRTTM job tokens as the filename.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms175575.aspx

• Jeff Moden (2/16/2012)

Revenant (2/16/2012)

I absolutely agree but only because most people don't take the time to set up for its use properly. It can, in fact, be done very safely.

Absolutely correct, Jeff, but that is how the cookie (usually) crumbles.

• Revenant (2/16/2012)

Jeff Moden (2/16/2012)

Revenant (2/16/2012)

Absolutely correct, Jeff, but that is how the cookie (usually) crumbles.

So help me out here a bit. Instead of saying something like it's "generally considered unsafe", explain why instead of just falling in line with a bunch of people that don't know how to implement it correctly. xp_CmdShell can be setup so that it's perfectly safe. What's MUCH more dangerous are apps that have any more than PUBLIC privs on the database.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply