name search idea requested

• Hi all.

I have a Customer table with a name field of char(50). I want to do a search.

create table #test (customer_id int, cust_name char(50));

insert into #test values (1,'Sunday Markets'),

(2, 'Monday Markets'),

(3, 'Going Away'),

(4, 'My Market'),

(5, 'Away on Monday')

I would like to find any record where at least 2 words match in each of the following phrases:

"going to the market on sunday" - (1, 3)

"monday's away" - (none)

"Go away from Monday" - (5)

So I am looking to match 2 words of any phrase from within the Cust_name field. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike

• this is the whole idea of what full text searching is all about. you leverage the ability to full text search specific columns,a nd search agaisnt that specialized index:

there's pretty good but slightly dated article here i actually implemented years ago:

A Google-like Full Text Search[/url]

and a whole lot of additional articles and info specifically about full text:

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/search/?q=full+text+search&t=a&sort=relevance

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• If full text search is not a possibility for you (but hopefully it will), you could try an alternative by splitting the names/phrases into separate words to validate that at least 2 words match.

Check the DelimitedSplit8K in here: http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/

create table #test (customer_id int, cust_name char(50));

insert into #test values (1,'Sunday Markets'),

(2, 'Monday Markets'),

(3, 'Going Away'),

(4, 'My Market'),

(5, 'Away on Monday')

CREATE TABLE #Phrases(

phrase varchar(50))

INSERT INTO #Phrases VALUES

('going away to the markets sunday'),

('monday''s away'),

('Go away from Monday' )

--Single phrase option

DECLARE @Phrase varchar(50) = 'Go away from Monday'

SELECT customer_id, cust_name, COUNT(*)

FROM #test

CROSS APPLY dbo.DelimitedSplit8K( cust_name, ' ') n

CROSS APPLY dbo.DelimitedSplit8K( @Phrase, ' ') p

WHERE n.Item = p.Item

GROUP BY customer_id, cust_name

HAVING COUNT(*) >= 2

--A table for multiple phrases

SELECT customer_id, cust_name, phrase, COUNT(*)

FROM #test

CROSS JOIN #Phrases

CROSS APPLY dbo.DelimitedSplit8K( cust_name, ' ') n

CROSS APPLY dbo.DelimitedSplit8K( phrase, ' ') p

WHERE n.Item = p.Item

GROUP BY customer_id, cust_name, phrase

HAVING COUNT(*) >= 2

GO

DROP table #test

DROP TABLE #Phrases

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • This solution will work great!

Thank you.

• A side point. Char(50) is probably not the optimal datatype to use here, as your names have varying lengths. I would recommend that you switch to Varchar(50) to save space.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply