Multi Column Sort

• Just for the record, if I was so condescending and thought I was so much smarter than everyone else, why would I be posting a question in the first place?

You really do not want an answer to that question do you :ermm:

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• Oh, I agree. There will be another change in the rules. That's how this works. But it's keeping me mildly entertained at this point.

mmmm, reminds me of a long thread many moons ago (and the person who started it). Condescending tone, incomplete and inaccurate data, unknown requirements and change the rules to fit their argument (whether correct or not!)

Will await the outcome (but not with baited breath) :hehe:

Anon.

• Mr. Sanborn... have you bothered to test my solution yet?

Does it work or doesn't it?

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Oh! and btw, does Occam's razor spring to mind here :crazy:

Anon.

• You people really seem to hate hard questions. There isn't a single requirement that has "changed".

- It's a table of numbers that increment from left to right in every row and top to bottom in every column with empty (null, zero,whatever) cells scattered throughout such that you can't simply order by any one column (or group of columns) and get a correct sort.

Now where has that changed from the very first post? Condescending would be insulting people for not having an answer for the problem. But the problem has been right there in the first post from the start. I can't help it if people just can't see it.

• (Working on it, Bob H.)

• Very familiar tone from the OP. Isn't this the same guy who insisted cursor based solutions were superior to set based and played the "riddler" for a week or so recently? I cannot remember that guy's name as I eventually unsubscribed to his rant...his wife was a "DBA'..Anyway, they are not one and the same, it seems we have another in our midst!

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• Christian Buettner (4/2/2009)

Not sure what this is all about, but is this something you would expect?

SELECT *

, (SELECT COUNT(*) FROM b

WHERE ISNULL(col1,0) <= ISNULL(al.col1,9)

AND ISNULL(col2,0) <= ISNULL(al.col2,9)

AND ISNULL(col3,0) <= ISNULL(al.col3,9)

AND ISNULL(col4,0) <= ISNULL(al.col4,9)

AND ISNULL(col5,0) <= ISNULL(al.col5,9)

AND ISNULL(col6,0) <= ISNULL(al.col6,9)

AND ISNULL(col7,0) <= ISNULL(al.col7,9)

AND ISNULL(col8,0) <= ISNULL(al.col8,9)) AS Ordr

FROM b al

ORDER BY Ordr

Nice job, Chris 😎

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• (Looking at watch.) I'm guessing this thread is over.

Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Bob Hovious (4/2/2009)

Mr. Sanborn... have you bothered to test my solution yet?

Does it work or doesn't it?

Looks like it doesnt(unless I made a mistake):

declare @u2bobnoxious table (ID int, Col1 int, Col2 int, Col3 int, col4 int)

insert into @u2bobnoxious

select 1, 235, 301, 349 ,425 union all

select 2, 0, 359, 432 ,NULL union all

select 3, NULL, NULL, NULL ,523 union all

select 4, 412, 466, 531 ,592 union all

select * from @u2bobnoxious

select * from @u2bobnoxious

order by isnull(+case when col1 = 0 then '' else str(col1,10,2) end,'')

+isnull(case when col2 = 0 then '' else str(col2,10,2) end,'')

+isnull(case when col3 = 0 then '' else str(col3,10,2) end,'')

+isnull(case when col4 = 0 then '' else str(col4,10,2) end,'')

--- continue this for however many columns you have in the table

returns

20359432NULL

3NULLNULLNULL523

(look at the last column in the last two rows)

What we need to understand is how the row comparison works.

If I understand it correctly it works like this:

Row X > Row Y if for each and every column x.col(n) > y.col(n).

The important part now is that per definition, the NULLs should be ignored in the sorting.

Therefore

x > NULL evaluates to true for each and every x

and

NULL > y evaluates to true for each and every y.

This is achieved via

ISNULL(col1,0) <= ISNULL(al.col1,9)

As a note, I am constraining my data here to be >= 0 and <= 9 for simplicity.

And as a final note: It is already late so please excuse any mistakes or unclear things... 🙂

Best Regards,

Chris Büttner

• Chris Morris (4/2/2009)

Christian Buettner (4/2/2009)

Not sure what this is all about, but is this something you would expect?

SELECT *

, (SELECT COUNT(*) FROM b

WHERE ISNULL(col1,0) <= ISNULL(al.col1,9)

AND ISNULL(col2,0) <= ISNULL(al.col2,9)

AND ISNULL(col3,0) <= ISNULL(al.col3,9)

AND ISNULL(col4,0) <= ISNULL(al.col4,9)

AND ISNULL(col5,0) <= ISNULL(al.col5,9)

AND ISNULL(col6,0) <= ISNULL(al.col6,9)

AND ISNULL(col7,0) <= ISNULL(al.col7,9)

AND ISNULL(col8,0) <= ISNULL(al.col8,9)) AS Ordr

FROM b al

ORDER BY Ordr

Nice job, Chris 😎

Thanks, but I am not sure yet whether the question poster is also of that opinion:-)

Best Regards,

Chris Büttner

• No that's correct. You ignore the zero in column 1.

That's exactly what my case statement is intended to accomplish.

So the sort order is

The STR is to adjust the strings with spaces so if 359 becomes 35 the sort order becomes

_35....

The underscore represents a blank space that I can't show in the post.

• Right, Bob, this is a "Shift Left When Zero" sorting problem. I realize that that description is inferior to the one given by the OP, but we are inferior intellects after all.

(hmm, which smiley face is for "sarcasm"?)

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Sorry for the delay. I'm between meetings. And no, I'm not the cursor evangelist.

(Yes! My intellect is vastly superior to all the rest of you on this forum. That's why I come here to ask you all how to solve difficult problems that I haven't yet been able to. Hmmm. I guess maybe somebody finds logic in that.)

• No, it is the same as the 3, null, 9, situation, mathematically. A later value in a later column is higher than an earlier value in an earlier column.

As far as your condescension goes, I can't tell you why you wrote something. If I could read minds, I wouldn't be a DBA, I'd be doing something far more lucrative.

I'll take another look at your sort tomorrow. You are right, though, that this isn't just a simple Order By issue. On the other hand, your original post was missing a huge amount of critical information. So you might want to provide that on future issues.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 180 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply