MCTS 70-431 [2005]

• Hi Gang,

I finally have taken up and started reading for my MCTS 2005 cert once again [half way through now] after abondoning it mid of last year due to work pressure.

My aim is to finish my MCITP this year as well.Right now the revising part is going as planned.Here are my doubts ?

1- I read many post here and most of them have started talking about the 2008 MCTS.Can someone advise me if I should leave what I am doing now and start fresh with 2008 ?

2- Or should I go ahead and complete the MCTS 2005 and proceed to MCITP 2005 and then write some[ not sure how many] papers to convert to MCITP 2008 ?Does anyone know how may papers one has to sit ?

3-Another question,my work revolves around all 3 flavours [DBA 50% /Developer and some BI [ssrs & ssis] 50%. Which cert would be the best to get most knowledge for all the areas.Any advise ?

4-Im a little confused on MCTS for SQL 2005 [there are only 2 certs BI [70-445] & [70-431] ],So we pick 1 of these and based on which MCTS that we have completed we sit for the corresponding MCITP for [Developer / BI or DBA]-Is this right ?

and the difference with of MCTS for SQL 2008 is that,MCTS 2008 has 3 cert to pick from instead of 2 for SQL 2005.

• Those questions have been probably asked and answered MANY times here, Google, etc..

My suggestion is (I was in similar shoes, started studying 70-431 and stopped for a year, even when the company was paying for me)

Finally this year I told myself I gotta do it, I paid for my own too

Did 70-431, did 70-444, will do 70-443 shortly to get my MCITP: Database Administrator 2005

Then if time allows and there is a need (work is still mostly 2000 and 2005)

I'll do the 1 exam to upgrade to MCITP: Database Administrator 2008 (70-453 for DBA one)

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcitp/sql/2008/default.mspx

SQLServerNewbieMCITP: Database Administrator SQL Server 2005
  • If you already got SQL Server 2000 MCDBA certification then you have to take 70 - 431 and 70 - 447 to upgrade it to MCITP.

Note here that 70 - 431 is for MCTS and 70 - 447 for upgrade. but to order welcome kit from Microsoft you have to complete 70 - 431 and 70 - 447.

If you only do 70 - 447 your transcript will show you as MCITP but you will not get certificates.

I know this because I had been into this mess and after 447 went again to complete 431 to get welcome kit.

SQL DBA.

• Appreciate the advice.

Im going to stick to MCTS 70-431 ..and get done with it.

Thank You

• I'd agree. Go for 431, make sure you have used SSMS since it asks you to actually click on things and get them done.

• I Appreciate the way microsoft changed the pattern of this exam, So Now one has to use SSMS in order to clear the exam as opposed to going through the braindumps..

Thanks

Vijaya Kadiyala

http://dotnetvj.blogspot.com

• [font="Comic Sans MS"]can anyone tell me what is SSMS?[/font]

Thank you,
    Regards,
    Dev
    email id :- dev_programmer@yahoo.co.in

• [font="Comic Sans MS"]

can anyone tell me what is SSMS?

I want to start my 70-431 preparation. Please tell me what is right path to do that?

Please tell me what resources i should follow? what would the right track to follow for the certificatio?

where can get practice test papers for free as i cant afford the amount asked.

Please help me!!!!

thank you everyone in advance.[/size]

[/font]

Thank you,
    Regards,
    Dev

• dev_programmer (4/22/2009)

[font="Comic Sans MS"]can anyone tell me what is SSMS?[/font]

Are you kidding? If you have to ask that question here, and don't know how to find the answer on your own, then you're not ready to even think about SQL Server certification.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• dev_programmer (4/22/2009)

where can get practice test papers for free as i cant afford the amount asked.

The vast majority of 'free' practice test papers that you will find are 'brain dumps', questions from the exam posted online in violation of the NDA on the exam. Using them is cheating and, if caught, can result in your certifications been revoked.

How much experience do you have with SQL Server?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I have an experience of 1 yr with sql server 2005. Please give me some practise papers that would allow me to judge myself with various sections of sql server 2005.

Thank you,
    Regards,
    Dev

• dev_programmer (4/23/2009)

Please give me some practise papers that would allow me to judge myself with various sections of sql server 2005.

As i said, the only 'free' practice papers that you're likely to find are braindumps and using those is cheating. MeasureUp and Transcender might make demos of their practice exams available, it's worth taking a look.

I strongly suggest that you buy a copy of the SQL 2005 Self-paced training kit for the 70-431 exam. It's not all that expensive. Consider it an investment in your career.

Also you should have a copy of SQL to practice with. The Developer Edition is around $50, which is really not expensive. It's full enterprise features, just not licenced for production usage.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Last week I sat for my 70-431...and I made it.... 🙂

Thank You all for your guidance.

• LOOKUP_BI (4/23/2009)

Last week I sat for my 70-431...and I made it.... 🙂

Thank You all for your guidance.

Congratulations

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Thank you very much for your guidance.

Thank you,
    Regards,
    Dev

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply