Help with SELECT and COUNT query

• Hi,

I'm having trouble creating a query to perform a function I require. I have created 2 queries which produce the results I want indivividally but I want to combine them into the same query and display the results in a single REPEATER.

SELECT Col1, UserId, Col3, Col4

FROM table1

WHERE (UserId = @userid)

ORDER BY Col3 ASC

------------------------

SELECT Col1,

COUNT(Col3)+COUNT(Col4)+COUNT(Col5)+COUNT(Col6)+COUNT(Col7)

+COUNT(Col8)+COUNT(Col9)+COUNT(Col10)+COUNT(Col11)+COUNT(Col12)

FROM table1

GROUP BY Col3

Is this possible?

Thanks

Mark

• Without knowing anything about your particular situation, I can try to ffer a general answer. There are two ways to "combine": UNION or JOIN.

I'm guessing you want a JOIN here, because your column counts are different, which makes a UNION invalid.

So, this will only work if col1 is some sort of unique value

Select * From

(

SELECT Col1, UserId, Col3, Col4

FROM table1

WHERE (UserId = @userid)

) as FirstTable

INNER JOIN

(

SELECT Col1,

COUNT(Col3)+COUNT(Col4)+COUNT(Col5)+COUNT(Col6)+COUNT(Col7)+COUNT(Col8)+COUNT(Col9)+COUNT(Col10)+COUNT(Col11)+COUNT(Col12)

FROM table1

GROUP BY Col3

) as SecondTable

ORDER BY Col3 ASC

Don't know if this is what you need, but given the limited information, it's the best I can do.

Hope this helps.

• Hi,

That definitely points me in the right direction. If I understand correctly I need to perform the first query, then create a join which will add the results of the second query to the first.

To Explain..I have a repeater control where I wish to display the results of the first query. There will be multiple rows returned as a result of this query.

Within a label control displayed in the relevant repeater row I wish to display the output integer value of the second query. The Group By statement can also be run on Col1 (Primary Key) if that makes a difference.

Does this make it any clearer?

Thanks for your reply.

Mark

• OK, I misunderstood the direction you are going with this. What you are after is a nested data repeater. Googling for "nested data repeater" will get you everything you need I think.

check out

http://www.gridviewguy.com/ArticleDetails.aspx?articleID=185

and

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/326338

• Can you post what your desired outcome looks like? Also post some test data so we can see exactly what you are working with and trying to do. Take a look at the links in my signature line, they will help you help us help you.

Ultimately you only want ot query the database once and then manipulate the data in your UI. Here is how I'd write the query:

SELECT

T.Col1,

T.UserId,

T.Col3,

T.Col4,

DT.count_sum

FROM

table1 T Join

(

SELECT

Col1,

COUNT(Col3)+COUNT(Col4)+COUNT(Col5)+COUNT(Col6)+COUNT(Col7)+

COUNT(Col8)+COUNT(Col9)+COUNT(Col10)+COUNT(Col11)+COUNT(Col12) as count_sum

FROM

table1

GROUP BY

Col1

) as DT On

T.col1 = DT.col1

WHERE

(T.UserId = @userid)

ORDER BY

T.Col3 ASC

• What are you trying to accomplish with this?

SELECT Col1,

COUNT(Col3)+COUNT(Col4)+COUNT(Col5)+COUNT(Col6)+COUNT(Col7)+COUNT(Col8)+COUNT(Col9)+COUNT(Col10)+COUNT(Col11)+COUNT(Col12)

FROM table1

GROUP BY Col3

That code won't work because of an invalid group by, and your counts probably aren't going to give you what you're looking for.

Seth Phelabaum

Consistency is only a virtue if you're not a screwup. 😉

Links: How to Post Sample Data[/url] :: Running Totals[/url] :: Tally Table[/url] :: Cross Tabs/Pivots[/url] :: String Concatenation[/url]

• Do I really need to nest a repeater control in the main one If I will only have one value displayed in the nested repeater?

I thought it would be simpler than this. I thought the first example you gave seemed like the right way to go so I wonder if I have distracted you with a poor explanation.

I'll try again:

I have a table X

CatId UserId Name Location etc..etc...

My first query is to locate the CatId's I require filtered by a UserId. The results of this query are displayed with the repeater item template.

My second query produces a table which displays all the rows in the table and gives a value "X" which represents the number of non-null cells within the data row (i.e.catId)

So what I'm hoping to produce is a table which will contain a list of CatId's with the value "X" displayed for each CatId which is filtered by a UserId.

Is this clearer?

• Yes, I did get distracted. The nested repeater is definitely the wrong way to go with just one record in the second query. I like Mr. Corbetts solution as posted above. Give it a shot, and let us know how it goes.

• Hi Seth,

My Group by should be on Col1 not Col3 ...thanks for pointing this out. This is fine for my query.

Mark

• That worked beautifully...I'm most impressed and you've certainly earnt your place in the hall of fame.

Thanks a million everbody for helping me with this.

Regards

Mark

• Hi,

I don't want to take the **** but while we're on the subject.....!;)

As part of the same procedure I'm also hoping to add another statement that will query a seperate table (Table2) and return a value which will be the number of rows returned from Table2 when the value of Col1 in Table2 is the same as Col1 in Table1.

Does this make sense?

• Jack Corbett

Can you post what your desired outcome looks like? Also post some test data so we can see exactly what you are working with and trying to do. Take a look at the links in my signature line, they will help you help us help you.

Doing this would make things a lot easier.

Seth Phelabaum

Consistency is only a virtue if you're not a screwup. 😉

Links: How to Post Sample Data[/url] :: Running Totals[/url] :: Tally Table[/url] :: Cross Tabs/Pivots[/url] :: String Concatenation[/url]

• fair enough...

i'll have a look and try to provide some data in the manner stated in the links.

might take me a while though so bear with me.

Thanks again

Mark

• Here goes,

First time i've done this so I hope it's correct.

CREATE TABLE #PropDet

(

PropId INT IDENTITY(1, 1) PRIMARY KEY,

UserId UNIQUEIDENTIFIER,

PropName NVARCHAR(50),

Resort NVARCHAR(50),

Col5 NVARCHAR(50),

Col6 NVARCHAR(50),

Col7 NVARCHAR(50),

Col8 NVARCHAR(50),

Col9 NVARCHAR(50),

Col10 NVARCHAR(50),

Col11 NVARCHAR(50),

Col12 NVARCHAR(50)

)

--===== All Inserts into the IDENTITY column

SET IDENTITY_INSERT #PropDet ON

INSERT INTO #PropDet

(PropId, UserId, PropName, Resort)

SELECT '6','6EC16A5D-1257-49FA-AA1B-8AC745AF41E5','Villa Marky','Courchevel 1850', UNION ALL

SELECT '9','E3EEAE25-622E-4C6B-B782-FDA576C9B10B','Villa Mummypenny Elly ','Meribel', UNION ALL

SELECT '17','6EC16A5D-1257-49FA-AA1B-8AC745AF41E5','Chateaux La La','Meribel'

--===== Set the identity insert back to normal

SET IDENTITY_INSERT #PropDet ON

CREATE TABLE #Rates

(

RowId INT IDENTITY(1, 1) PRIMARY KEY,

PropId INT,

col1 NVARCHAR(50)

)

--===== All Inserts into the IDENTITY column

SET IDENTITY_INSERT #Rates ON

INSERT INTO #Rates

(RowId, PropId, Col1)

SELECT '4','6','March', UNION ALL

SELECT '5','6','April', UNION ALL

SELECT '6','6','January', UNION ALL

SELECT '9','17','January', UNION ALL

SELECT '10','17','February', UNION ALL

SELECT '11','17','March', UNION ALL

SELECT '12','17','April', UNION ALL

SELECT '18','17','May', UNION ALL

SELECT '19','17','June', UNION ALL

SELECT '20','17','July', UNION ALL

SELECT '21','17','August'

--===== Set the identity insert back to normal

SET IDENTITY_INSERT #Rates ON

-----------------------------------------------

So as to what I would like to end up with:

A table with columns

PropId, UserId, PropName, Resort, count_sum, columnX

where columnX is the number of rows in table - #Rates with a PropId value corresponding to the PropId in the row of the output table.

Does this make sense?

Thanks again for the help. It's much appreciated.

Mark

• Hi Guys,

This is the additional query I would like to add onto the existing one.

SELECT PropId, COUNT(*) AS [Number of Rows]

FROM Table2

GROUP BY PropId

I've been having a play around trying to incorporate it into the one you kindly supplied but i'm very much a novice at this and can't get it to work.

Any help is much appreciated.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply