Happy Birthday USA!

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Happy Birthday USA!

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• God bless America, my home, sweet home.

Rick

One of the best days of my IT career was the day I told my boss if the problem was so simple he should go fix it himself.

• skeleton567 wrote:

God bless America, my home, sweet home.

+ 1,000,000,000

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Thanks for taking a surprisingly controversial stand... Had a great day discussing the value of our country and system with neighbors.

• brandon 94807 wrote:

Thanks for taking a surprisingly controversial stand...

"Surprisingly controversial stand"???  What was controversial in the article?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden wrote:

brandon 94807 wrote:

Thanks for taking a surprisingly controversial stand...

"Surprisingly controversial stand"???  What was controversial in the article?

Yeah, I'm a little surprised by this one too. I love my country. I'm pretty sure my friends in England love theirs. I know my friends over in Poland love theirs. I can keep going. Read history. There's not a country on earth that doesn't have some skeletons in the closet. We're horribly imperfect beings doing our damnedest to get things more right than wrong, everywhere.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• God bless the USA and I could not agree more with your sentiments!!

And thank you for all you do for the SQL community!

• Flag waving and fireworks on July 4 is perfectly fine. However, it should also be a time for us to reflect on where we stand on keeping the nation unified and resisting our worst impulses. When Benjamin Franklin was asked what form of government the delegates created, his rely was:

"A republic, if you can keep it."

I think he intended this to be a warning, not just to the press at that time, but also to future generations that we have to work to keep this thing going.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• I encourage all of you in the USA on here to get a permanent flag pole for your home and proudly display our flag every day.  My wife and I installed a 20 foot flagpole on our front patio, and several neighbors also have these.  It even has a solar light so it is appropriate for all night also.   One neighbor who owns a business has a large flag painted on the sides of his business vehicles instead of advertising his company.

Please let us all know if you decide to do this!

I also suggested on our neighborhood website that in addition to having loud fireworks on the 4th that folks actually recite the Pledge of Allegiance and sing our National Anthem.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by  skeleton567.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by  skeleton567.

Rick

One of the best days of my IT career was the day I told my boss if the problem was so simple he should go fix it himself.

• skeleton567 wrote:

I encourage all of you in the USA on here to get a permanent flag pole for your home and proudly display our flag every day.

I'm proud of my country, but I wouldn't mount an American flag in my front yard, for much the same reason that I only wear company branded polo shirts to company events.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell wrote:

I have no problem with the USA flag, but I wouldn't mount it in my front yard, for much the same reason that I only wear company branded polo shirts to company events.

Eric, I don't understand but I have no problem with you disagreeing.  It's not for everybody.  As far as company logos, even though I've been out for about 10 years I still wear a shirts of several companies, just for the memories.  I'm sure nobody here recognizes them, but one is even the company my wife created and ran.  Just the same with my kid's educational institutions.

Our flag in the front yard gives us a warm, thankful feeling as we sit outdoors enjoying our retirement.

Rick

• Just FYI guys - I meant - the stand shouldn't be controversial - because loving your country is normal and appropriate - particularly when you  live in a country that has an environment of freedom that has created some of the greatest good of our modern age. So, it is surprising that it is controversial - not that someone loves our country 🙂

• skeleton567 wrote:

Eric M Russell wrote:

I have no problem with the USA flag, but I wouldn't mount it in my front yard, for much the same reason that I only wear company branded polo shirts to company events.

Eric, I don't understand but I have no problem with you disagreeing.  It's not for everybody.  As far as company logos, even though I've been out for about 10 years I still wear a shirts of several companies, just for the memories.  I'm sure nobody here recognizes them, but one is even the company my wife created and ran.  Just the same with my kid's educational institutions.

Our flag in the front yard gives us a warm, thankful feeling as we sit outdoors enjoying our retirement.

The majority of Americans (including myself) are indeed proud of our flag. However, I see the flag at my kid's school, on government buildings, Walmart, and other public spaces. I live in a suburban neighborhood with many houses, so for everyone to mount a flag in their front yard seems to me like a form of virtue signaling. That term is typically used in the context of social or political causes, but it could also apply when routinely displaying flags.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/virtue-signaling

• Eric M Russell wrote:

skeleton567 wrote:

Eric M Russell wrote:

The majority of Americans (including myself) are indeed proud of our flag. However, I see the flag at my kid's school, on government buildings, Walmart, and other public spaces. I live in a suburban neighborhood with many houses, so for everyone to mount a flag in their front yard seems to me like a form of virtue signaling. That term is typically used in the context of social or political causes, but it could also apply when routinely displaying flags.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/virtue-signaling

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/virtue-signaling[/quote]

Well, you just lost my respect with that virtue-signaling crap.  Get over it.  That's just another of those emotional outburst people use when they have nothing better to contribute.  I'm done with this, and my "Star Spangled Banner Yet Waves O'er The Land Of The Free And The Home Of The Brave".

Let's get back to SQL Server, OK?

Rick

• Please, please, please, no politics. I just wanted to encourage people to learn a little history, either their own or others. That's all.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply