Dropping Constraints from multiple tables

• I want to drop a bunch of constraints on tables that have similar names, by generating alter statements from the information schema, i have the query below and i cant figure out why i cant do this

SELECT 'ALTER TABLE ' +

t.Table_Name +

' drop column ' +

c.constraint_name +

FROM Information_Schema.tables t

INNER JOIN Information_Schema.constraint_name C

ON t.Table_name = c.Table_name

WHERE c.constraint_name LIKE '%DF_abc%'

can information schema have something like this does it have a special value for constraints as it does for columns

• instead of dropping and recreating, it would be a lot easier to simply rename the existing constraints instead. sp_rename takes any object name that exists in sys.objects , not just tables or columns.

see this thread , where i posted a code example on the same issue, where someone wanted to drop/recreate default constraints with a naming convention:

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1382812-392-1.aspx#bm1383093

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• I have to drop the column after i drop the contraint, unless i can force a column drop that have binding values somehow

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply