Database Design - Indexes To Create

• EdA ROC (2/3/2010)

We haven't been on the same page for a while. I was using this table as a simple example and you've been looking at it too literally.

I've been looking at exactly what you've been posting, confused as it has been leaving me. I do not have time to guess what someone really means or to guess whether they're being literal, figurative, metaphorical or something else.

the indexes are of no benefit to the ORDER clause?

They can be, but it's not always easy, not always possible

Would your recommendation be to create indexes:

1. RowID - Clustered <-- we covered this before

2. Activity - Non-clustered <-- because most frequently used

Might this be of value if the table were very large?:

3. UserID - Non-clustered <-- because it's often used

Those'll do

There are 22 indexes, they are all NOT clustered. If I understand your article correctly I would have expected to see 1 clustered index on Order_No. Is my thinking correct?

Maybe. I can't tell you where the cluster should be though.

I'd honestly be more concerned about 22 indexes. Assuming the order table is requently inserted into (and one would hope that it is), then those indexes may be hindering insert/update/delete.

Are they all necessary?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • In case you missed this note - This database is for an ERP app created by a 3rd party vendor, not us. So, we are stuck with their creation. Outside of petitioning them to clean things up.

Maybe. I can't tell you where the cluster should be though.

I'd honestly be more concerned about 22 indexes. Assuming the order table is requently inserted into (and one would hope that it is), then those indexes may be hindering insert/update/delete.

Are they all necessary?

FYI - Frequent inserts? There were almost 7,000 orders (records) entered the past 2 years.

Am I correct to understand, from reading your article, that one index should be clustered? The one column that would be most frequently referenced in WHERE and ORDER? In this table, orders, it would be order_no.

I looked at Manage Indexes and recorded all the indexes and their columns.

They are listed below - not necessarily for you to scrutinize, but, I will make a couple comments:

I don't think this should be: job_number is indexed twice (xie7orders and xie9orders)

The indexes at the bottom look like they were created for reports that have been created, and not reports that would be frequently used - by any customer, much less by many customers using this ERP app. It looks like the report programmer added these so the reports run faster. Probably not a good idea to create the indexes?

All right. Once more, Thank you for your time and patience, I really do appreciate it.

I think this is a good place to end this thread, otherwise, I'd keep picking your brains.

[font="Courier New"]xie0orders.......completion_flg, order_no

xie10orders......cust_po_no.edi_inb_no.edi_po_line_no

xie10_orders.....proj_no

xie1orders.......cscode.item_no

xie2orders.......cscode.order_no

xie3orders.......whsncode

xie4orders.......completion_flg

xie5orders.......due_date

xie6orders.......item_no

xie7orders.......job_number

xie8orders.......order_date

xie9orders.......job_number

xpkorders........order_no

xpltnoorders.....plt_no

xieorders_rowid..rowid

xie11orders......form_no.completion_flg

xie20orders......order_no.plt_no.cscode.cust_po_no.pricing_meth.sqft_per_unit.exp_set_flg.qty_meth.proj_no.ord_price

xie21orders......order_no.item_no.cscode.for_invt_flg.whsncode.plt_no

xie22orders......order_no.due_date.completion_flg.wwhsncode.for_invt_flg

xie24orders......plt_no.order_no.cscode.cust_po_no.pricing_meth.sqft_per_unit.exp_set_flg.qty_meth.proj_no.ord_price.due_date_cd.special_des...

xie25orders......completion_flg.cscode.item_no.for_invt_flg.pending_rso

xie26orders......order_no.completion_flg.for_invt_flg.plt_no.pending_rso.order_date[/font]

[font="Verdana"]"The Road To Success Is Always Under Construction."[/font]

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply