Connect to Database after restore

• Hi,

I have user who is not sysadmin (the fix server roles are bulkadmin, dbcreatorprocessadmin and securityadmin). The user is able to restore a database using a script (the GUI doesn't work) but when the I try to connect (or select) to the database with the same user, I get an error that I have no permission to connect.

The script to restore the DB (which succeeded) was:

RESTORE DATABASE Tmpdb

FROM DISK = 'E:\Tmpdb.bak'

WITH MOVE 'Tmpdb27_Data' TO 'c:\Tmpdb.mdf',

MOVE 'Tmpdb27_Log' TO 'c:\Tmpdb.ldf'

Does anyone know what should be added to the script or what server fix roles should be given to the user so that I will be able to connect to the db using this user after I restore it?

(Note that this is a temp DB that is created a dropped after some checks)

Thanks,

Shai

• If you're the admin on the server you should be able to connect to it. What specifically is the error message.

If you have security admin privileges on the server, you can add your login to the database as a user.

CREATE USER xxx FOR LOGIN domain\xxxx

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• That is the problem, I do not have "admin" permission on the server. So what I need is a way to connect to the database after I restore it.

• Sorry, I read again you answer and understood what you meant.

I will try it

Thanks

• As already discussed, incase if you are a sysadmin on the box, you will be in a position to grant database access to the required user...

However going forward its always better to script out the user permission script prior to restoring the database and rerun the scripts once the restore is completed.

-Rajini

• But even then, you can only add users if you have the security admin privileges to do that.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• I ran the user creation script with a user with security admin and I still got an error that I don't have permissions....

• So from the sound of it, you have dbcreator rights, but not securityadmin. Without at least that, you can't restore a database and give permissions to access it.

• I have both dbcreator and securityadmin rights...

I tested your script on another database where I have dbowner rights and it worked. But that solution is weire - How can you be a dbowner if you just restored the databse?

• Just to clarify - I'm working on SQL 2005 and not 2008

• Permissions required for performing restore -

Server role : sysadmin, dbcreator

DB role : db_owner

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc966495.aspx

MJ

• Restore was not the problem...

The problem was that I was not able to connect to the database I resotred after I restored it.

• hi,

After restoring the Dbs normally the user loses its logins/permissions when restored over a different DB. Please try executing the stored proc

use master

go

sp_change_users_login 'Auto_fix','loginname'

Have a nice day !!!

----------------------------------------------------------------
    **"There is only one difference between dream and aim. Dream requires Soundless sleep to see…Where as Aim Requires Sleepless Efforts to Achieve":-) **

• Doesn't work...

The script runs but the user is till unable to connect to the database

• Execute the code mentioned below and paste the output here:

use DBName

go

sp_change_users_login 'report'

MJ

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply