Change order of DTS steps

• Granted, I'm a newbie, so bear with me.

I've got a DTS package that only has 3 steps.

1) drop a table

2) create a table

3) export data from Access to SQL Server

I'm using an ASP page to initiate the DTS with no problem. I'm using the example from

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;252987.

For some reason, my steps don't execute in the order that I have them laid out graphically. I'm using precedence correctly (I think). Could it be that they are executed in order by name? My step 3 (which executes first) is named DTSStep_DTSDataPumpTask_1 where as the others are DTSTask_DTSExecuteSQLTask_1 and DTSTask_DTSExecuteSQLTask_2.

Is there somewhere to set the order?

Let me know if I should elaborate.

Thanx in advance.

• What does your workflow properties look like? They should be as a success on the task you want to be completed prior to that step executing.

Hope that helps

• I agree re:workflow, but what takes precedence? I haven't used VB to call a job like this (ie step by step) but the logic reads to me like you are calling each step within the package, rather than calling the first and letting the other steps execute based on the workflow properties.

Otherwise, I would look at calling the steps one by one, do "if/case" tests on the name to ensure that as they come back from the collection of steps, you are calling them in the correct order.

HTH,

Steve.

Steve

Steve.

• quote:

Granted, I'm a newbie, so bear with me.I've got a DTS package that only has 3 steps.1) drop a table2) create a table3) export data from Access to SQL ServerI'm using an ASP page to initiate the DTS with no problem. I'm using the example fromhttp://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;252987.For some reason, my steps don't execute in the order that I have them laid out graphically. I'm using precedence correctly (I think). Could it be that they are executed in order by name? My step 3 (which executes first) is named DTSStep_DTSDataPumpTask_1 where as the others are DTSTask_DTSExecuteSQLTask_1 and DTSTask_DTSExecuteSQLTask_2.Is there somewhere to set the order?Let me know if I should elaborate.Thanx in advance.

3/7/2003 - I've added a visual to show what I have trouble explaining with words. It's located here *LINK REMOVED*.The result I get from running the ASP page is:**********Step [DTSStep_DTSDataPumpTask_1] failedTask "Import Data"Step [DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_1] succeededTask "drop table"Step [DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_2] succeededTask "create table"Package [Import] failedDone**********

• Try removeing the DTSExecuteSQLTask_1. the other two workflow propertites should look like the following.

dts task_dtsExecuteSQLTask_2

Source step = "drop table"

Precedence = "success"

Destination Step = "Create Table"

dts task_dtsdatapump task_1

Source step = "Create Table"

Precedence = "success"

Destination Step = "import data"

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply