Anyway to get BLOB data out of MDF using SQL 2000 or any other program.

• We have been running Sharepoint on at SQL server 2000 database for 8 months. Last week I came in no one can get on the sharepoint site. Somehow the database got renamed and/or overwritten. From a backup we have the mdf and ldf for several days back. None of them will reattach. I have tried even tricking the database by creating a new one with the same name, taking the server offline and then replacing the files with my backed up MDF and LDF. After putting the database in Emergency mode and using DTS I was able to transfer the data over to a new database but I still can't the binary files out. I wrote a program to using ADODB to stream the data out of the field back out into a file but it now says the fields are null which they are not. I can get data from other fields that are not of the binary type. I know the data is in there because the database is over 6 Gig. We sent them off to Microsoft to get them to see if they could get the binary files out but it has been over a week and can't get anyone to call me back. Basically is there any program that can read a mdf and get out my documents out of a binary field or something else I can do to get at least some of the files back out? This is terrible that sharepoint does this. If the documents were stored on a local directory then at least I could get some of my files back even if some of them are corrupt. It this case if one file ex. MDF gets corrupt then all your data is corrupt.

• Have a look at Red Gate's SQL Data Compare 6 Professional. It has a free trial. Basically it can compare databases, but it can also use database backups as the source. If you have a database with the same table structure, you can get the data by comparing the database with the backup directly.

Disclaimer: I work for Red Gate.

Regards,

Andras

Andras Belokosztolszki, MCPD, PhD
    GoldenGate Software

• FWIW - the size of your .mdf and .ldf doesn't coincide with the amounts of data they contain. You can have an .ldf that's 10GB that has no data in it..

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply